1. Don’t just push up your sleeves or roll them up like a politician.
Try the master sleeve roll:
2. Don’t wear jeans that are too large or too tight.
If you can fit two fingers comfortably between the hip and the waistband, you’ve got a pair of jeans that fit.
3. Unless you’re a surfer, don’t wear baggy shorts that fall below the knee. On the other hand, no one wants to see your entire thigh.
Pick a pair that either breaks at the knee or no more than 2 inches above it.
4. Unless you’re doing something athletic, white socks should never be worn with any outfit.
Instead, invest in some socks that compliment your wardrobe.
5. Don’t limit yourself to the same shoes every day.
Get one of each of these:
Casual shoes, sneakers, black dress shoes, brown dress shoes, and boots. Owning these five styles of shoe will complete the widest array of outfits.
6. Don’t not match your belt and your shoes.
Sorry for the double negative. What it means, for example, is that if you’re wearing a brown belt, you shouldn’t be wearing black shoes. They don’t have to match exactly, however. For example, your dark brown belt can be worn with your brown shoes of a lighter shade.
7. In general, don’t tuck in casual shirts and polos. And don’t untuck dress shirts, or you’ll look like you’re wearing a dress.
Tuck formal shirts in, which are longer and with a straighter hem. Untuck casual shirts when the hemline curves up at the hip.
8. Don’t wear blazers that are too big or too small.
If the jacket is too large, there will be a divot under the shoulder and the fabric rumples.
If the jacket is too small, your range of motion will be restricted and the seam will be hiked up the shoulder.
The shoulder seam should end at your shoulder, and remember, never fasten the bottom button.
9. Don’t wear the latest dying trend: The deep v-neck.
Instead, keep the bottom of the V no lower than two to three inches below your collarbone.
10. Don’t limit yourself.
Experiment with new styles, don’t be afraid of color, and wear what makes you confident.
If that means breaking all these rules, go for it!! Do YOU!!
And as a bonus, here’s an 11th rule:
11. DO take care of your clothing.
If it’s dry clean only, send it to a professional. If there are stains, have them removed promptly. If something doesn’t fit and it can be tailored to your shape and size, do it; it will look phenomenal.